Thursday 29 October 2009

Practicing Ho’oponopono

Ever since I came across this Hawaiian technique of healing I have been reading about it and implementing in day-to-day living. Following is a summary of my understanding so far:

We do not live in the same world. Each one of us lives in his/her own world projected on one’s own consciousness through his/her sense organs based on his/her own memories, thoughts, values, desires, expectations, aspirations, prejudices, etc. Consequently, the world that I perceive includes everyone and everything that I experience in my own consciousness. Indeed, they are my own making. Hence, if I am experiencing a painful situation then something within me has caused it to happen as it is confined to my own consciousness. It could be a negative thought or a selfish desire or hatred towards specific individual or unrealistic expectation, etc. Sometime I may feel pain just watching or meeting another ailing or suffering person. This may be due to my association of this person’s suffering with some deep-rooted childhood fear from my own memory. Thus, every experience has its root cause within me. Therefore, I must take remedial action also within myself to relieve the pain.

This is where Ho’oponopono comes handy. Whenever I feel pain or agitation in any situation, I pause and reflect. Keeping in mind the above explanation, I silently start asking divinity to forgive my wrongdoings of the past, if any (by repetitively saying, “I am sorry. Please forgive me.”). I also thank divinity for cleaning my subconscious mind and blessing me with all that I already enjoy (by repetitively saying, “I love you. Thank You.”). Such silent act of repentance and gratitude miraculously calms the mind and reduces the pain. In my short period of practicing Ho’oponopono, I have often found myself keeping my cool in otherwise stressful situations and even resolving the problem through some innovative means that earlier eluded my attention. I wish to continue on this royal path of internal cleaning.

No comments: