Saturday 25 September 2010

Pride of Possessing Books

Anthony F. D’Silva evoked nostalgic memories of yesteryears with his article “Is it time to bury the old tomes of knowledge?” (KT, 20th Sep 2010). I was particularly touched by his history professor’s purchasing an Encyclopedia Britannica instead of a car, when faced with a choice between the two. I wonder how many of us would have done this then as well as now. Books have been known to be our best friends, as they silently wait for us to be taken on a mind’s journey which enriches our lives. However, books are no longer the only tools of acquiring knowledge. Internet has almost completely overtaken books in so far as searching for any knowledge is concerned. But, how about the pride of possessing good books? Have we lost that too?

While acknowledging the value of instant access to any knowledge by the click of a mouse-button, I believe that we would never lose physical touch with books. Despite the Internet access to online Dictionaries and Thesauruses, I keep Webster’s Dictionary handy on my table. The joy of looking for various meanings of a word and its usage in a dictionary is unparallel. I still carry many books on my bookshelf from my younger days. Oldest one is Bhargava’s Anglo-Hindi Dictionary (in tattered condition) that was passed on to me by my elder cousin who was my role model when I was just entering my teens. I vividly remember the time when I used to feel certain honour in visiting Calcutta’s National Library. Scouring for some hidden treasures amidst heaps of old books on the pavements of College Street, Esplanade and Free School Street was a regular pastime. I remember becoming member of a readers’ club floated by Hind Pocket books through which I could purchase new books of my choice at discounted price. Waiting for the postman with the VPP (Value Payable Post) of my facourite new books was filled with some subtle joy. The pain of paying from my hard-saved pocket money was more than compensated by the look and smell of new books. Putting protective cover on every newly purchased book was an exercise of immense value. Personalising the book with a sentence (“This Book runs under the sweet care of…”) in the best of my handwriting on the first page was a matter of great satisfaction. Underlining quotations or important sentences and writing my own notes on the page-margins of the book was my way of making interactions with the author. Preserving books autographed by the authors or gifted by some close friends with sweet messages carried immense emotional value.

Can Internet and e-books ever provide these joys? Can they ever substitute the intellectually charged environment and smell of a well stocked library or your own study-room, where your thoughts develop wings? Can they ever become your trusted friends whom you can reach in your privacy without any electronic aid? No, I strongly believe that there will never be a time to bury the old tomes of knowledge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raj,
I agree with your nostalgic memories because I have experienced the same with the few new books I did buy on my own.
However, the conclusion stated in your last line may not hold good , especially the word " never " for the following reasons:
1) Among the centuries of human history, the years of affordable books have been perhaps only about 200 years ( say 1800 to the present ).
2) With technology developing so fast, physical things are replaced by subtler options and the trend is set to continue.
3) The coming generations may access information directly to the brain and the use ( or the pleasure ) of books would be unknown to them, just as a simple joy like regularly sleeping under the stars at night is already unknown to most of us.
4) Change is so fast and inevitable that the joy of books may go out and replaced by others. However, I suppose the principle of "Joy" may continue.
V K natarajan

Sukumar Laik said...

I agree with you regarding the joy of possessing books. But let me tell you my personal experience. Today in my house in every room there are books of various categories and every alternate day my wife says" for your whole life you have not made anything for the family except piling books everywhere". And today when the time is approaching to retire from the present job , I have also started thinking that really where I will carry these books? Who will preserve them and most of these are treasures of knowledge.In many books I had my comments written and in many I underline certain important/salient lines or paragraphs.
So in todays world where space is a big problem and where we have become more mobile, I think e-book is the only substitute for that, though nothing can replace the joy/charm/enjoyment in reading from a book by sitting, in reclining position or completely lying without caring for the supply of electricity.

Best Regards,

Sukumar Laik
Professor, Petroleum Engg Deptt
Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - 826004