Friday 21 June 2013

Unfinished Books

Cheer up, Indrajit Hazra! You are not alone with the unfinished books (Last Laugh, June 14). I too have many half-read books lying all around in the house. I bought these with great enthusiasm from airports, train stations and bookshops in malls (while my family was busy shopping elsewhere). I was attracted to them either because of a review or the synopsis written on the back. I start reading the newly purchased book almost instantaneously and carry on during the entire journey. But, once home, priority shifts.
 
No doubt, they are all good books with power to transform one’s thinking and life. But I am afflicted with the problem of plenty. Which one to finish first is my dilemma. I tried to address this problem by strategically placing them at various locations in the house: serious stuff near the study table, light ones near the TV couch, uplifting ones on the bedside tables... But even that didn’t work as there was more than one choice at every location.
 
Of late, I have reconciled to the fact that it is the depth that matters, not the spread. Now, I randomly pick any book whenever I am in the mood for reading and am satisfied after reading just one chapter or even one page, as long as I have enjoyed doing so. Never mind the multitasking that my mind has to do in keeping track of continuity with all of them.


1 comment:

Aditi Budhia said...

This is the most interesting article. Could relate with this problem completely. Even my friend Manasi read it and was laughing that she has exact same problem.

Lol