Tuesday 25 May 2010

Authentic Living

Reading about Kiran Bedi in the Wknd. (“Sharpshooter”, 21.05.2010) was a thrilling experience. I was reminded of my meeting her way back in 2001, when she visited Abu Dhabi to launch her critically acclaimed biography, “I dare”. While getting her autograph on a copy of this book, I asked who her idol was. She replied, “Mahatma Gandhi.” Notwithstanding her violence-dominated Police profession, she explained how she always looked for ‘goodness’ even in hard-core criminals and thus could maintain a non-violent attitude in her life. Her enthusiasm was infectious and I felt as if I was standing next to a power-house of infinite energy. No doubt, even now she works 24 x 7. I am inspired by her statement, “There is no place where I have to be – there are only places where I need to be and ought to be.” She is truly a shining example of ‘authentic living’. I wonder how many of us can also say, “My work is my holiday.”

No comments: